Welcome to Part 2 of my 3-Part Miniseries on my search for the perfect broccoli cheese soup recipe.
In Part 1, I blogged about my failed attempt at finding the perfect broccoli cheese soup recipe in The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook: The New Classics (mostly because the only broccoli soup that’s listed in the cookbook isn’t necessarily a cheesy broccoli soup, per se… but rather a regular broccoli soup that’s topped with cheese toasts. Definitely didn’t pass the satisfaction test for a good, quality cheesy broccoli soup!).
In this post, I’ll be blogging about my attempt at reproducing the broccoli and cheese soup that started this whole obsession to begin with… that being, Quiznos’ Broccoli Cheese Soup.As I had mention in Part 1, I’ve been in love with broccoli and cheese soups ever since I first tried Quiznos‘ version. It’s thick. It’s super cheesy. And it’s delicious! I’ve definitely never had another broccoli and cheese soup since that beats its.
So while my first attempt at finding the perfect broccoli and cheese soup failed, my second attempt carried through spectacularly without a hitch!
What did I do for my second attempt, you ask? I basically searched online for a copycat recipe for Quiznos’ Broccoli Cheese Soup, and found this one (see below for full recipe). Gave it a whirl, and boy was the resulting soup WAY better than my first attempt with Martha Stewart’s Broccoli Soup with Cheddar Toasts!
It tastes pretty freaking identical to Quiznos’ version… but less salty (since I made sure to use stock with no additional salt added), and doesn’t have that “preserved” taste that commercially produced food items tend to possess. I should also mention that instead of half and half, I opted to use whole milk… and it turned out fine.
Anyway, I give this recipe a very solid 2 thumbs up!
Here is the copycat recipe reproducing Quiznos’ Broccoli and Cheese Soup.
Quiznos’ Broccoli Cheese Soup Copycat Recipe
- Description: A copycat recipe for recreating Quiznos restaurant’s Broccoli Cheese Soup.
- Yield: Serves 6
- Recipe Type: Copycat
- Dish Type/Course: Soup
- Main Ingredient: Vegetables
- Cooking Method: Boiling, Poaching, Sautéing
- Cuisine: American
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups fresh carrots, grated
- 1 lb broccoli (1 elastic-bound bunch), washed & cut
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 qt chicken stock or chicken bouillon
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 8 oz grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Saute onion in butter until golden.
- Stir in garlic & cook for 3 min more; set aside.
- Take out another pan & melt 1/2 cup butter on medium heat.
- Stir butter & flour (make a roux) using a whisk.
- Continue stirring over medium heat (about 3 to 5 min) & slowly add half-and-half.
- Add chicken stock, again whisking all the time.
- Simmer for 20 min.
- Add broccoli, carrots & onion.
- Cook over low heat until veggies tender (about 20 to 25 min).
- Add salt & pepper.
- Pour in batches into blender & puree.
- Return to pot & add grated cheese; stir until well blended.
- Switch to low heat & stir in nutmeg.