Well, here’s a little One of a Kind Show quiz for ya. See if you can guess the answer before I reveal it below…
What is one item I always buy at every One of a Kind Show in Toronto… and have done so for years?
Alright, you probably have guessed correctly by now… seeing how the answer isn’t exactly a secret (I mean, it’s listed right there in the blog post title!).
But yes, I have indeed purchased the world’s most delicious (no lie!) gourmet chocolate almond brittle from the Brook’s Delectable Chocolates booth at the One of a Kind Show in Toronto each and every time I’ve attended for as long as I can remember. That being years and years and years.
I mentioned in my previous Tealish artisan showcase blog post how sampling the many flavor varieties offered up by local Canadian food establishments at the One of a Kind Show was generally considered one of the main event highlights (if not the primary highlight!) for most OOAK show-goers.
And for the most part, I would lump myself into that group. There’s definitely a lot to be enjoyed by hopping from food booth to food booth, taste-testing everything presented to you on a toothpick or in a tiny paper cup.
But when it comes to Brook’s truly one of a kind gourmet chocolate almond brittle, there’s no reason to ever sample it before purchasing it!
I know I’m not the only one who feels the same way. Whenever I find myself at the Brook’s Delectable Chocolates booth, there is always a crowd of people surrounding the table where you’ll find bowls filled to the brim with transparent polypropylene gift-wrapped & ribbon-tied chocolate almond brittle delights in denominations of $5, $10, $20, $25 or $40.
And, of course, there are the recycled corrugated cardboard boxes tied with red grosgrain ribbon, where you’ll find inside nestled in red tissue paper the perfect gift for any chocolate addict: $27.50 for 1 lb or $42.50 for 1.6 lb worth of Brook’s almond brittle!
As for those people surrounding the table? They’re all standing around, impatiently waving Canadian bills in their hands in exchange for bags of brittle, of course.
If that isn’t proof Brook’s chocolates are sinfully delicious, I don’t know what is!
And that’s why my second One of a kind Show Spring 2013 local artisan showcase blog post today is all about Brook’s Delectable Chocolates.
Brook’s Delectable Chocolates
- URL: BrooksChocolates.com
- Description: Established in 1993, the soul goal of this Stouffville, Ontario family business is to make truly extravagant gourmet chocolate almond brittle that features thick, imported milk chocolate surrounding a butter brittle middle & generously laced with sweet, roasted whole almonds.
About Brook (the “Chocolate Lady!”)
- Mini Bio: Before Brook Jones was incarnated as “the chocolate lady” and founded Brook’s Delectable Chocolates in 1993, she studied music at the New England Conservatory of Music in Boston, then went on to graduate school at the Institute of Child Study, U of T. She taught primary grades and music for the Toronto Board of Education before homeschooling her own two children. She is a triathlete, avid gardener, yoga enthusiast, woodworker & environmentalist. And to this day, she still remains the only cook at Brook’s Delectable Chocolates (with the exception of employing seasonal help to weigh & package almond brittle during the Christmas and Easter One of a Kind Shows).
Brook’s Milk Chocolate Almond Brittle
- Ingredients: Imported Milk Chocolate + Almonds + Butter + Sugar + Maple Syrup (That’s right, just 5 simple ingredients, with no additives or fillers. Sugar, a natural preservative, extends the shelf life of the candy to six months.)
Brook’s Dark Chocolate Almond Brittle
- Ingredients: Imported Dark Chocolate (from France) + Almonds + Butter + Sugar + Maple Syrup
- Address: 5090 Sideline 30
Stouffville, ON, Canada
- Phone: 905-640-4032
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Order Brook’s Chocolate Almond Brittle
- Step 1: Print this order form
- Step 2: Write a cheque payable to Brook Jones
- Step 3: Mail your order request to the street address listed above, OR
Phone in your order to Brook directly at the phone number listed above
- Postage for Local Orders Under $150: $13.00
- Postage for Local Orders Over $150: Phone Brook for postage & handling amount before mailing your order
If you’ve never had the opportunity to try Brook’s gourmet chocolate almond brittle, I definitely recommend placing an order. Definitely one of the best things to come out of the small town of Stouffville, Ontario… a mere hop, skip and a jump to the north from Toronto.
“It is a confection of extremes, supporting the premise that if you are going to eat sweets, make it worth your while.”
I was blown away when I first found out the brittle was created by Brook from a recipe consisting 5 simple & natural ingredients: Just imported milk or dark chocolate, almonds, butter, sugar & Canada’s infamous maple syrup. Nothing more!
This time after coming home with my newly purchased bag of Brook’s chocolate almond brittle, I had the opportunity to take a few Instagram photos (Y’know, before completely devouring the entire package that same night. That’s why I never buy too much of it, for fear of eating a pound of brittle in one sitting!). Check them out below…
Brook’s One of a Kind Show Shopping Photos
- One of a Kind Show Spring 2013 Brooks Delectable Chocolates 1
- One of a Kind Show Spring 2013 Brooks Delectable Chocolates 2
- One of a Kind Show Spring 2013 Brooks Delectable Chocolates 3
- One of a Kind Show Spring 2013 Brooks Delectable Chocolates 4
- One of a Kind Show Spring 2013 Brooks Delectable Chocolates 5
- One of a Kind Show Spring 2013 Brooks Delectable Chocolates 6