I have decided to turn myself into an honorary Newfoundlander!
Now, you might be scratching your head right now wondering why this crazy Asian girl has decided to adopt the culture and heritage of Canada’s most Easterly province.
You might also be wondering, “Why Newfoundland?” Trust me, you’re not the only one. I get that reaction each and every time I tell someone I’ve recently traveled to the world’s 16th largest island (and 4th largest in Canada!). And honestly, if someone were to tell the “me” of the past that I would one day fall in love with and travel to North America’s easternmost point, I would probably scoff at the idea.
Funny how things can turn 180° so quickly at the drop of a dime!
And that hypothetical “dime?” In this case, the main catalyst that changed my perception is due in large part to breathtaking TV ads released by Newfoundland and Labrador’s Department of Tourism.
If you’re a regular television watcher and fellow Canuck like myself, you may have seen some of the gorgeous Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism commercials that were aired over the last year or so.
And I’m really not exaggerating when I say “gorgeous.” Because those commercials were so beautifully shot and the scenery looked so picturesque, the overall message of “You must visit Newfoundland!” definitely made a lasting impact on me.
Watch these commercials, taken from the Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism YouTube channel, and see the wonder for yourself.
Note: You might find yourself embarking on your own vacation to Newfoundland as a result of watching this video. You’ve been warned!
Visit the Cape Spear Lighthouse National Historic Site of Canada and you’ll be able to cross not one, but two items off your bucket list:
- Visiting North America’s most easterly point
- Watching the first sunrise in North America
Did you know? Newfoundland is home to hundreds of English dialects… more than anywhere in the world! Newfoundlanders even have their own dictionary. Hear it all personally for yourself with a trip to The Rock.
Hip yer partner, Sally Thibault
Hip yer partner, Sally Brown
Fogo, Twillingate, Moreton’s Harbour
All around the circle!
-I’s The B’y
Visit all three towns mentioned in this traditional Newfoundland folk song with a trek down Iceberg Alley!
Holy fjords, batman! Visit UNESCO World Heritage Site, Gros Morne National Park, and you’ll be in the presence of majestic “long, narrow, deep inlets of the sea between high cliffs”… without having to fly to Norway or Iceland!
Rainbow colored jellybean row houses lining steep hills… fishing wharfs clinging to rocky cliffs… there’s nothing ordinary about the architecture of Newfoundland and Labrador, that’s for sure!
After watching those video commercials, surely you’ll agree with me that those television advertisements were a huge marketing success. Case in point, they succeeded in getting me to visit the official website. And what I discovered while browsing the site blew my mind.
The Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism website was absolutely, unbelievably, insanely, jaw-droppingly beautiful.
Everything about it appealed to me on all levels:
- The photographs were stunning
- The layout was simple, but elegant
- And offering live chat service on every page blew my mind
I mean, this is Newfoundland we’re talking about… as of 2011, the population of the entire province is a mere 514,536. That’s less than 20% of the number of people living in just the city of Toronto (listed as 2,615,060 in 2011, according to Wikipedia)!
So yeah. I never would’ve guessed it. Who would’ve thought that arguably one of the most isolated and remote provinces in Canada (and one that never really came across my radar throughout my entire life… as I’m sure the same can be said for you, my fellow blog reader!) would somehow have it in them to create one of the most attractive tourism websites I’ve ever laid eyes on, in terms of both aesthetics and usability? And trust me, I know a thing or two about both due to my line of work!
And the site itself? It succeeded in turning me into a Newfoundland lovin’ tourist.
For those of you reading this who are considering a trip to Canada’s easternmost province in the near future (something that I encourage you to do!), I’ve compiled the following ultimate Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism website resource guide.
Anything and everything that you’ll ever need to plan your vacation to the Rock can be found in this travel guide.
Hope it helps!
About the Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism Website
- Website URL: http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com
- Mobile App: http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/ PlanYourTrip/MobileApp
- Join the eNewsletter: http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/ TheLatest/ENewsletter
- Photos & Videos: http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/ AboutThisPlace/Multimedia
- Live Chat: http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/ PlanYourTrip/LiveChat
- Email: email@example.com
- Toll-Free Phone #: 1-800-563-6353
- Fax #: (709) 729-0870
- Mailing Address: P.O. Box 8700 St. John’s, NL, Canada A1B 4J6
Social Media Profiles
- Chatter: http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/ TheLatest/Chatter
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ NewfoundlandLabradorTourism
- Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/NLtweets
- YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ NewfoundlandLabrador
- Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ newfoundlandlabradortourism/
- Google+: https://plus.google.com/115023942079536199689
What’s Happening at “The Rock?”
- Latest News: http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/ TheLatest/News
- Upcoming Events: http://www.newfoundlandlabrador .com/TheLatest/FestivalsEvents
- Newest Blog Posts: http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/TheLatest/Blog
Where to Go, What to Do…?
- Top Destinations: http://www.newfoundlandlabrador .com/PlacesToGo/TopDestinations
- All Attractions: http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/ PlanYourTrip/Attractions
- Tour Operators: http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/ PlanYourTrip/LocalTourOperators
- Accommodations: http://www.newfoundlandlabrador .com/PlanYourTrip/HotelBBRental
- Restaurants: http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/ PlanYourTrip/Restaurants
- Retail Stores: http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/ PlanYourTrip/ShopsGalleries
Trip Planning Tools
- Interactive Map: http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/ PlanYourTrip/InteractiveMap
- Weather Info: http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/ AboutThisPlace/WeatherClimate
- Local Transit: http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/ PlanYourTrip/LocalTransportation
- Driving Distances: http://www.newfoundlandlabrador .com/PlanYourTrip/DrivingDistances
- Visitor Centres: http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/ PlanYourTrip/VisitorInformationCentres
- Travel Brochures: http://www.newfoundlandlabrador .com/PlanYourTrip/TravelBrochures
- Sample Itineraries: http://www.newfoundlandlabrador .com/PlanYourTrip/TravelItineraries
- Special Offers: http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/ PlanYourTrip/SpecialOffers